Monday, November 23, 2009

responses to tech assessments from week 1

I was really quite shocked after I took the surveys at how technologically illiterate I really am. This is especially funny considering the fact that I am often considered a technology "go to" person on my campus.

Through the Technology Applications Inventory, I realized that I need significant improvement in the area of creating effective and meaningful spreadsheets. I know how to insert data into a spreadsheet, but I am not entirely familiar with how to create equations (beyond average), create labels, or even create different pages on the same document.

I am not entirely sure of the purpose for using different document formats. Which ones take up the most space but preserve document quality? Which one is best for sending information via email? How do I zip files with Macs? So many questions raced through my mind as I was completing this survey.

Concerning the SETDA teacher survey...

First, I was completely overwhelmed with the shere size of the survey...26 pages! But, it just goes to show how all-encompassing technology really is. I was proud of how much "general" knowledge I had of several technology applications (e.g., spreadsheets, word processor, Powerpoint, email...and even SPSS). But, my ability to apply knowledge to create a quality product, that is another issue.

Also, the part of the survey that dealt with student access to technology at home really made me think. The playing field isn't always level in this regard. Many students who live in inner-city Austin do not have the same access to technology as those students who live in the suburbs, a few miles away. The question remains: how do we level the playing field?

Finally, I need to diversify my technology applications in the classroom. I do a great job of getting kids "on the computer", but a poor job of improving their computer literacy skills. For example, my students use curriculum software to learn language arts skills. They do not however use presentation, writing, or data applications on a consistent basis.

These surveys were helpful in uncovering some areas of weakness in the area of technology leadership. I believe these are powerful tools that can be modified for use as a technology or educational leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment